Small intestinal foreign material (SFB)
Lateral and VD
- Defining characteristics:
Indicates radiopaque material observed within the small intestine that is not consistent with the typical appearance of ingesta, gas, or fluid.
- Common differential diagnoses:
Foreign body, mass, or other abnormality
- Helpful additional data:
Is the patient known to chew foreign material? Has there been any vomiting or inappetence?
- Commonly associated diagnostics:
Consider abdominal ultrasound if available, serial radiographs
- Commonly associated treatments:
Consider IV fluids with serial radiographs, consider the rest of the physical exam and clinical findings, and discuss surgical options
- Commonly associated home care:
Based on primary