Gastric material (GMT)
Lateral and VD
- Defining characteristics:
Presence of material within the stomach (ingesta, foreign material, fluid), significance interpreted with clinical signs and physical findings
- Common differential diagnoses:
Normal ingesta (food, fluid, etc), foreign body, gastric masses
- Helpful additional data:
When did the patient last eat? Has the patient eaten something like a sock, toy, etcetera.
- Commonly associated diagnostics:
Consider serial radiographs after fasting. The stomach can take up to 8H to empty after eating.
- Commonly associated treatments:
Depends on presenting complaint and physical exam findings and length of time since last meal. Consider fluids.
- Commonly associated home care:
Based on primary